You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Sunday, March 7, 2010

54mm Gladiators: Hoplomachus (converted)


Here's my other hoplomachus. This one was converted from the thraex figure (compare this figure with the thraex from earlier.) Since the armor didn't change, it was a simple matter of giving this figure a spear in place of the sword.

I like the horsehair crest on this figure better than the murmillo's; this one seems to flow better.

This is the last figure of my proper "classes" of gladiators. I still have two others to paint, a dwarf dimachaerus (a two-sword fighter), as well as a prisoner (which is really just a Germanic tribal fighter with sword and shield.)

I've read recently that Alpha Miniatures, when they released these gladiators a few years ago, also had a couple Roman boxer sculpts. I've seen a photo of one of them (looks good!), so I hope to track them down to purchase and paint. They are not gladiators, but it would be nice to have them to fill out the collection. In the meantime, I put in another order for a few more gladiators. I want to fill out a couple pairings and try a couple conversions, including a scissor fighter (no, he doesn't fight with scissors, he fights with a sword in one hand and a nasty chopping knife in the other.)

1 comment:

  1. What about a paper fighter, and a rock fighter while you are at it.

    ReplyDelete