You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

54mm Gladiators: Charon


And here is Charon! This is my first 54mm figure ever. In terms of gameplay, he'll have nothing to do but to stand around and look good, so I guess that makes him my first ever piece of 54mm terrain.

This was an easy figure to paint. It only took about an hour and a half (though I did spend about 20 minutes painting the face last night- so 2 hours for the figure.) I was so excited to finish it, that I didn't let the ink wash dry before taking the pics, so it might look a bit shiny here and there. Believe me you, it looks better in person. But you have to get your own :)

Just a minor thing I noticed is that at this size, the sand scales better.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I especially like the flesh and the wood grain. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flesh tones are GREAT! What paints did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually using a straight 5-part combination of two different manufacturers: (from base to highlight) Foundry Flesh 5A, Games Workshop Dwarf flesh, Foundry Flesh 5B, GW Elf flesh, and Foundry Flesh 5C as the final highlight. Then I use GW Tanned flesh for nipples and lips.
    The last figure I did (hoplomachus) I mixed an extra layer between Foundry 5A and Dwarf flesh.
    I also do a GW sepia ink washes around the top of the loin cloth and where arms and legs insert into armor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I would like to pick up and try Foundry's new 6-part expert flesh set, by the way.

    Another note: Since gladiators were as diverse in nationality as they in fighting styles, this will give me a chance to try a few different shades of flesh. Most of my armies are diverse anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great!

    Regarding sand you're absolutely right. I found that sand looks like small rocks or at least thick gravel when used on smaller models, and much better when scale is bigger.

    I noticed that using baking flour mixed with glue and even some paint and applied on the base looks good when you give it a matt finish. It's fine enough to look like fine sand in scale.

    Alternatively you can use modelling pumice - like what Vallejo sells. It's gelly and I sometimes mix it with paint or dry pigments to achieve nice texture on bases of my gaming models.

    --
    Mahon
    www.ChestOfColors.com

    ReplyDelete