You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Sunday, February 28, 2010

54mm Gladiators: Secutor


This figure felt a little more routine to paint. I spruced this one up a bit with a shield design; I chose a hippocampus (seahorse) to follow the theme of the secutor as a fish who the retiarius is trying to net. I think the remaining gladiators also will get basic shield designs.

The secutor is simply a modified murmillo, only having a differing helmet which was specialized to not be ensnared by the net of the retiarius, the secutor's only (known) opponent. The helmet covered the entire head and only had two eye holes for vision and air circulation (though some air could come up through the neck space.) There are archeological specimens of this helmet with a hinged face plate.

There is a lesser-known modified version of the secutor called the scissore. The scissore didn't have the large scutum shield, but instead, had a manica going along the arm into a large gauntlet than covered the entire forearm. This gauntlet was tipped with a fixed, crescent-shaped blade (the scissor) which could be used to cut the scissore from a net if he should be ensnared.
To further make up for a lack of shield, the scissore wore a long coat of scale or chain mail.

I plan on ordering another secutor miniature which I will convert into a scissor. I'm not ready to sculpt any kind of mail armor yet, so I'll probably just paint his torso to look like shaped leather armor.

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Congratulations for your job!!!
    I would like to do a retrospective of your work (especially yours D&D minis repaints) on my blog (adraste.blogspot.com)
    Would you agree with that ?
    Excuse me for my poor english.

    Best regards,
    Stéphane Vial aka Adraste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, Stephane. You can use anything from my blog you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot!! I'm going to post a retrospective (in french, sorry :-( )
    of your work. You could see it at "adraste.blogspot.com"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take a look when it gets posted! And French is OK. I can read French just fine. (I can speak and write it too, but not as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wait- I can write a little French: J'ai vu le poste. Merci pour les compliments! J'ai oublié combien de D&D minis que j'avais repeint.

    Aussi: Il est OK pour commenter ici en français.

    ReplyDelete