You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, June 28, 2010

54mm Waiteri tribe: Attacking hunter



This hunter was kept simple but I'm still happy with the result. My original plan for him was to have him swinging a two-handed stone axe of some sort. I may still do that pose if I decide to get a copy of this figure.

I've decided to keep the spear points as obsidian points; I'll keep the points black and apply gloss varnish to simulate the glassy nature of obsidian.

I've done enough basic brown or gray furs; the next figure (my second scout) will have a leopard print fur over his shoulder (as will the chief.) I may also do a fantasy type fur (some natural colors, but some sort of striped or spotted pattern of my own creation over it.)

Other stuff: Despite its collectable nature (I despise collectable card/miniature games), I'm actually kind of looking forward to Wizard of the Coast's new Gamma World. Back when I was 9 years old (1983), my baby sitter's older sister invited me to play (2nd edition) Gamma World. This was my FIRST step into the world of nerd-dom; it was the first thing I ever did that was connected with roleplaying games or miniatures. (And, damn, my baby sitter was hot. I didn't know it at the time, though :)

If the new Gamma World ends up sucking, I may just look around for a copy of the 2nd edition of the game. But the new version has the advantage of using the 4th edition D&D rules mechanics, which all of my friends and I are already familiar with.

Maybe I'll get a 2nd edition copy simply for my nostalgia library.

Part of the (4E) game is the use of a deck of cards to attain random mutation powers and technology (loot). Well, the base game comes with a small deck of each, but more mutations and tech can be acquired by purchasing booster packs (the collectable part of the game). At first, I thought this would suck, but then someone mentioned that it makes perfect sense: In a world of genetic mutation, no one gets to choose how they mutate or what tech loot they may find.

So I'm gonna give it a try!

3 comments:

  1. Nice looking miniature and I do remember that game too!

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. The project just keeps getting better and better.

    Now you need to think about another tribe to fight against.

    I am cautious about the new Gamma. I will probably try it, but am a little suspect of the 4e rules for it and the whole buy some booster cards thing.

    I love the 2e rules. We have an online game that has stalled out, but was starting fun. Check it out at: http://burningwastes.blogspot.com/

    Let me know what you think of the new Gamma. I can probably steer you to a copy of 2e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new tribe is a nice idea. I wonder if I could do some neanderthals?

    My friends and I enjoy the 4E rules, but yes, I'm still weary about the booster aspect despite the justification I mentioned (random mutations).
    That, and I'm not sure if my friends are ready for it. I'll be running a Dark Sun campaign around that time, anyway.

    Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete