You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

54mm Gladiators: Demisecutor


Here's my converted gladiator (above) representing an unnamed class represented by this terracotta figure (right) from the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge (UK). The conversion was simple: I swapped arms with a hoplomachus figure, and converted this figure's original helmet (he started off as a secutor.)
The conversion of the helmet was simple; I filed the front of the helmet flat, while preserving the center crest (as per the original statuette.) I redrilled the eye holes, and added greenstuff around the base of the helmet to give it a more conical shape. The crest on mine is much smaller than the terracotta figure it's based on; I admit to not consulting the original sourcework as much as I should have. I still like my representation, though.
I also rushed the painting a bit; This figure had been sitting on the table too long and I wanted to get it finished and onto the shelf with his brothers. that leaves one final gladiator to paint.
Again, this figure represents a class of gladiator that falls somewhere between murmillo and secutor, the only difference being the helmet. I've named mine a demisecutor, half-secutor, since, at this point in the class's transition, he is more secutor than murmillo in my opinion. I will pair him against retaririi, thraex and hoplomachii.

No comments:

Post a Comment