You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Saturday, March 6, 2010

54mm Gladiators: Provocator


I almost forgot I wanted to have a multi-national diverse group of fighters for my school of gladiators. Honestly, I forget what colors I used here, I just grabbed some random browns off the rack and did a few mixings to create this color which, to me, looks generic enough to be used as north African or Middle Eastern.
This figure is as is; I didn't do any conversion work. I kept him simple, too. No shield design, and no feathers, though this gladiator would/could have them. When I order some more gladiators, I will get one to convert into another provocator; he will get some feathers.

Not much is known about the provocator (meaning Challenger) except what he wore and who he fought. The provocator's armor consist of a largish greave on the left leg, quilted armor on the weapon arm, large helmet and a large shield. What set the provocator apart from other classes of gladiator was his large breastplate (cardiophylax). This plate was squarish in shape (and more of a crescent shape int he later imperial period.)
The provocator was matched up against other provocators, though I've read somewhere (and I cannot confirm) that the provocator may have fought other medium gladiators such as the murmillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment