You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Sunday, March 21, 2010

54mm Gladiators: Provocator (converted)


I'm very much enjoying putting together, converting and painting these gladiators. I'm thinking about selling off my big collection of Foundry Gladiators to finance more fighters from Blackcat. I cracked this figure out in an hour and a half (not including the hour for converting and assembling).

This provocator uses the same body as this murmillo figure. The weapon arm is a separate piece; Where it meets the shoulder, I filed the area down so that I could drop the arm toward the side (just to provide a little variety.) I covered up the mess I made with some more chainmail and an extra strap extended from the shoulder.

Other converted parts included a little greenstuff to make a breastplate (the major piece that identifies a provocator) and the switch from a murmillo helmet to a provocator helmet (among the extras Harold sent me from my first order with Blackcat).

Somewhere on the net or in a book, I saw a painting of a Roman soldier with a black shield painted with a gold/yellow design (wreath I think it was). I liked the color combination and used it on this fellow's shield, while mimicking the wings design seen on many legionnaires' shields. I originally wanted to do the gold wreath on the black background, but one of my other gladiators already has a wreath, and I want some variety in the shield designs. In any case, it was the color combination I was after- and I like it!

Still on the table: A thraex-armored dimachaerus and a couple ancient boxers. Monday or Tuesday, I should receive a shipment of more 50mm bases, at which time I can paint those figures up. I also have another 54mm ACW Rebel which is ready to be painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment