You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ghostbusters vs. Frankenstein (AND the mummy)

Heresy makes some nice figures, me thinks!
So I have some Lovecraftian elder beings for my Ghostbusters to hunt, I figured I'd give them some old, traditional stand-bys as well. I wanted enough monsters to fill a small Chessex figure case, and I had some spaces left over. So I'm filling a couple of those spots with the mummy and Frankenstein's monster.


The mummy figure is Reaper No. 2156 Mummy of Hakir. I love painting mummies because they're so damned easy. All I did for this one (and most of the others I've painted in my day) was two or three layers of drybrushing. I decided to change things up just a bit by making his bones all red. "Why?" you might be asking. Why not? He's going up against Ghostbusters, so I'm keeping things tongue-in-cheek. Red bones it is. Just a quick note. This latest addition to the Ghostbuster project is giving me a chance to use some of the bases I've made over the past year or so. In fact, probably 99% of the bases you'll see on this blog, I custom made myself (well- the basing material- not the plastic GW or display bases themselves.). The only bases I can think of I did NOT make were some industrial bases on a few Chronoscope figures I painted up a few weeks back.


The mummy went so fast, I had time to paint up Frankenstein's monster (Heresy figure's flesh golem.) I only had a little over an hour before work, and I wanted to get him done before then, so I kept things simple. The first couple layers of flesh were painted, then one layer was drybrushed, then a few highlights were painted. I also made his jacket and pants the same color (Foundry's Bay Brown.) The hair was one quick drybrushed layer of gray. About the only thing I really took my time on was the gem on his chest. Even that was a little rushed. But he's a great figure that I think will reward any level of painting. If you happen to pick him up over at Heresy, this figure comes with three different head variants: This one; a bald version with staples all the way around (holding the brain cap on); and one with the "cap" removed and brain exposed! Damn, I wonder where I put those extra heads? I could probably find a use for those.

I STILL have a couple spots left in the figure case. I could fill them with zombies, or I can finish the cadre of classic movie monsters and get a dracula and wolfman. Reaper makes classic versions of both, I believe.

But first, I guess it's on to the investigators. They should be pretty easy; it's just a few modern civilians. I also have a Rat King figure from Copplestone Castings that I need to get painted up for Joe. Joe has been waiting patiently for weeks for me to get that figure finished. I may just do that one next.

2 comments:

  1. You always pick the most incredible subject matter and exicute it in a fantastic way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking Good.

    I agree with Eli

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete