You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Saturday, March 20, 2010

54mm Gladiators: Scissor


Just moving right along here! And I'm back on track with the gladiators. This one was fun to do, and tested my meager chainmail-making skills with greenstuff. I know I can do better, and will get better eventually, but I'm still happy that with a glance, this figure at least looks like he is wearing a coat of chainmail.
I also wish I had been able to hammer out a proper blade for his lead arm. I'm not to put out by my small failure there; if I do figure out how to make one in the future, it won't be too difficult to replace this current blade.
The armor on the right shoulder I am happy with: I simply flattened out some greenstuff until it was paper thin. After it cured, I was able to simply cut long rectangles from it and curve them over the shoulder one at a time (gluing each one down). Done- armor! The thin greenstuff is quite flexible and not too difficult to wok with. If you have any extra after doing a small project, flatten it out and see what kind of fun you can cut out of it later.
All in all, I'm happy with this figure. From a small assortment of gladiators, and a touch of greenstuff, one can make a lot of gladiator types, enough to fill the pockets of any lanista!

Not much is known about the scissor. It is surmised that they were a variant of the secutor, and simply an alternative opponent for the retiarius

No comments:

Post a Comment