You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.
Saturday, July 16, 2011
Qwik: Getting some proper dice
When I first started with Qwik, I had hoped to find some decently post-apocalyptic dice. There were a couple here and there, but a bit pricey, so I left it alone. Then, today, I had an "Oh shit" moment when I realized I could just paint my own! It was so obvious that I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. This opens a whole new can of worms for me.
So I dug out a couple dice for the sacrifice, primed them, and laid down some layers of rusty colors -- of course it would be rust with me :) After the primer dried, I did a quick test to see how well it was adhering to the dice; I scraped my thumb nail over the dice a few times- no scratches. Good to go!
Even better: I have a big old bag of dice with a bunch of D6 that would otherwise never get used. Now they're all gonna get a coat of rust. I also plan on adding silver to the "1" "2" and "3" pips. In most Two Hour Wargames, 1, 2 and 3 are the rolls you're looking for. This will help my players more easily spot the dice they need after a roll. I may add some more silver/less overall rust to a few dice to vary things bit. I might also try some verdigris dice.
Quick note on the picture: It looks like the dice are chipped and corroded a bit; they just look like that. I haven't done any manipulation/weathering on them except for a few thin layers of stippled paint. And since these dice have the rounded edges (rendering them not very balanced), I'm not too worried about any paint throwing the balance off.