You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, July 28, 2014

Zombicide: Shannon and Bones


This is Shannon (from Toxic City Mall) and Bones (from the Adrian Smith Art box.) I kept both of these survivors simple -- no conversion work at all. They are both great sculpts. I chose the yellow/white combo for Bones' guitar to add some contrast against the darker clothing.

This Shannon figure is actually her zombivor version, but I thought it worked well as a nice and gritty survivor. Something I've decided to do is not paint up my zombivors as I had originally planned (gray skin with color clothing as a middle transition between my full-color survivors and my black and white zombies.)
There are a few reasons for this decision: My friends and I usually don't play with zombivors; It would be difficult to match up the clothing with those survivors I've painted up; and, just as Shannon here, many of the zombivors work nicely as veteran survivors. It's not that I need any more survivors for Zombicide, but it's nice to have the extras for other post-apoc games (All Things Zombie and After the Horsemen by Two Hour Wargames being my main culprits.) It's also nice to have a few "alternate" sculpts to choose from if anyone so chooses.

For now, those zombivors not getting painted up as survivors are getting painted up as black and white walkers. I guess they could be used as unique VIP zombie sculpts. What's great about painting these in black and white is that if I decide to paint them up as zombivors using my original scheme, all I have to do is paint up the clothing and I'm done.

Matt varnish

If you've been following along, you'll remember that I've been having issues with tacky primer/varnish. Today I picked up some Vallejo brush-on matt varnish. The sealer I had been using worked fine, but it left a glossy sheen on the figure. So I'm trying out the Vallejo varnish. It seems to be working; it certainly dries more matt than most others. I'll keep you appraised in the long term. Thank goodness I'm not getting my new Zombicide stuff until the winter time when it's nice and dry. I've never had so much trouble with humidity affecting my priming.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent work. I tend to use Vallejo matt varnish, but through an airbrush. It dries very matt. Much better than both Army Painter and Testors Dullcote IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vallejo brushed on seems to be working well for me, too. I still like the Dullcote, but I'll keep that for my metal figures, and use the Vallejo probably almost exclusively for my Zombicide figures.

      And honestly, I think it's just the humidity; I found some older primed (and unpainted) Zombicide figures, and they have absolutely no tack on them. So i'll just have to have some more patience before priming and/or varnishing.

      Delete