You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Tuesday, May 28, 2013

42mm Samurai: Lord Kaage approaches

I put in another order from Steve Barber. They will form my "evil" faction to go up against my peasants and other ashigaru.

The major conversion that I'll apply to this faction is that they'll all be wearing haori jackets. I used this banner man (pictured) as a test to see first if I could actually sculpt a haori (that green-stuff, vest-looking thing you see him wearing.) The only thing missing is a tie/knot holding the front of the haori on; I think I'll just leave them off.

The haori will be slow to sculpt, but they'll also speed up painting a little bit since they're covering up a lot of the lacing on the lower armor pieces.

The banner man's "banner" here is actually a wooden sign (sculpted from green stuff, with styrene and brass rod.) I will write some Japanese characters talking gloom and doom on the sign (I'll use Google translate; I don't need it to be authentic, I just want it to be close enough to look good. The characters will probably be too small to read anyway.)

The uniforms will be dark and will reflect Lord Kaage's colors (pictured below. I also plan on converting and painting up an armored version of Kaage.)

Lord Kaage. I will also do an armored version (of the character, not this figure.) 





3 comments:

  1. consider tying very thin wire into actual knots for the front of the Haori?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend the maxim "Aku, Soku, Zan" from Rouroni Kenshin. It's always stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! that sign looks really great.

    I'm not sure what kind of phrase you're looking for, but if you want something gloomy, 死屍累々 means "heaps of corpses lying around"... That's pretty gloomy~

    ReplyDelete