You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Sunday, May 19, 2013

42mm samurai: Pirate and Uncle Gon


I had a extra axe just laying about, so I gave it to my first peasant here. Since the axe is uncommon, I worked it into this figure's character background, which is also uncommon. He's a peasant who, when he was young ran away from home to become a pirate, smuggling contraband to Osaka (or some such jazz.)

His stint on the waters was short, but among his meager booty were this large axe and a striped shirt he got to be showy. Since leaving work as a pirate, he has hit the roads, but he has little money left over to stay at inns. So he had made himself a poor but functional tatami mat, which he keeps rolled up and slung over his back.


The only conversion I did to the second figure was adding a beard and a straw hat. I gave him gray hair, and since he is older, I have dubbed him Uncle Gon, one of the characters from the book, "Musashi," about the life of Miyamoto Musashi.

I have enough peasants now to split them into a couple groups. I have about equal numbers of bare-headed fellows and "hatted" fellows. Those with hats will be my farmers faction, while those with bare heads are my laborers.

I have the two ninja, the samurai and the ronin left yet to do. These paint up faster than I remember, so I may get to them relatively soon.



My 42mm collection is building. These, along with all my 54mm stuff, are still my favorites among all my collections. After each batch, I think to myself that I've exhausted all my ideas for converting  Steve Barber's small range of samurai, but then I get a few ideas, purchase some more and have a week or two more of fun.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic miniatures and painted so well.

    I still have some Tamiya 54mm Samurai that I will get around to painting one day.

    Thanks for posting the images.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete