You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Friday, April 4, 2014

Zombicide: Hobo with a shotgun

I'll need to start matt varnishing these guys before I photograph them. This fella is wearing a nice olive drab coat, but the light reflection has washed out the color a bit.

I know that the background to this character (Red Cap Ben) is supposed to be that he is a survivalist, but I love the sculpt because it reminds me of Rutger Hauer's character in "Hobo with a Shotgun." I like the colors from the concept art, so I kept those, but I gave him a blonde beard as an hommage to Hauer.

I took a little more time to paint this one, trying out just a little bit of blending with OK results. Though, by simply slowing down and adding more in-between layers using the English (layering) system, I find it easier to control the paint and color than if I were to blend. I think a blended figure looks fantastic, but, in all honesty, I don't aspire to paint my figures to a Golden Demon quality; I want the figures to look good on the table, not on the shelf.

Based on the nice sculpting on this figure (and its companion Angry Mary,) I'll probably pick up the other artist boxes. I'm also kicking myself for not picking up the Mustache Pack (especially for that Magnum PI figure). And I'm certainly not going to pay eBay prices to get it now. But oh well, I have more than enough survivor figures, and there'll be plenty more when Season 3 rolls around.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've commented before but I've been following your blog for a while.

    I love what you've done with these figures, your paint-jobs have really brought them to life. You've inspired me to spice up some more of my board game figures at some point.
    I've got several that would be nice to work upon. Zombietown, Talisman, Vampire:Prince of the city.

    The Zombietown ones especially would be nice to emulate what you did with your zombicide figures, there's 100 zombies in that game and a handful of survivors. I wouldn't want to try paint all those individual zombies normally.

    I'm going to take on board what you mentioned in the last post and get some enamel spray primer for durability.

    I also wanted to pop over and let you know I'd nominated your blog for the Liebster award over at my blog: Meandering Shade. It's totally up to you whether you'd like to do it too, just wanted to give you a heads-up.

    Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination!
      On the primer: The Testors works great and holds tightly onto the figure. But I haven't really tested (vigorously anyway) how durable the paint holds onto the primer. In general, the paint has held well on the rest of my figures (using Testors Flat Black.) But I still plan to put the survivors in foam protection. I don't mind if the zombies happen to chip; it'll only ad to their zombie-sais-quoi.

      Delete
  2. Definitely more Hobo with this one, great job as usual

    ReplyDelete