You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, August 18, 2014

Hairy spider


This is a technique I learned from a White Dwarf article a few years ago: Using static grass as fur.
I took it in a slightly different direction using it to add hair to my spider. (This is a second copy of the spider from the Mice and Mystics game, which I highly recommend.)

The trick is to not use too much; I think I overdid it a touch with this spider. The original article used this technique on wolves, which had the fur all over. But for a spider, you just want to place the grass in key locations: leg joints, back of the thorax, abdomen. For the abdomen, I try to get two thin parallel lines running front to back.

I use superglue to stick the static grass to the figure. Use a toothpick to apply a tiny dot (or strip) of glue in the areas to be hairy. Coat your spider in static grass and shake away the excess. Prime and paint as usual. It's really that easy, and I bet most of you have everything you need. Reaper Bones spiders are nice, cheap figures you can try this technique on.

Since this is a hairy spider, I didn't do any patterns: Patterns are difficult to paint on the hair (and make look right,) but also, I just wanted the hair to be the focus of this figure.

10 comments:

  1. Very good ! a simple and efficient idea but I'm not sure:
    gluing "fur" then painting or the inverse ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you have the correct color of static grass, you can paint first, then glue.

      Delete
  2. Great looking result.
    I did this on some spiders a long while back and it looks great. I only applied it to the body though and it looks great.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aweosme, that really is a great big hairy spider!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A conversion that really adds to the menacing nature of these spiders. Nice modeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hair somehow makes the spider more scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, its terrifying. Probably just makes it look more realistically like a really big ####ing spider.

      Static grass is my enemy for ~10 months of the year so needless to say I probably can't do this :/

      Delete
  6. Great looking little pet, lovely work!

    ReplyDelete