You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Beginning Mercs: Recon


Here are the first few figures from my copy of Mercs: Recon, a  game in which players take private mercenary teams on raids into the offices of rival corporations.
The figures aren't shelf quality, but they are great for being simple board game components. There aren't too many (yet,) but I'm trying some speed-painting with these.

My security forces here were (over a black primer layer) first painted with dark olive -- drybrushed so as to leave some black-lining and pick up details. The I drybrushed a lighter olive drab going from top-down -- a basic simulation of top-down lighting.
Next, I painted guns and boots with black, to clean things up a little. Then I added a base layer of skin -- not a lot of skin showing on these figures, so this was nice and easy. And, I didn't have to, but I went ahead with a flesh highlight. The figure of the Secfor woman standing with the shotgun had some hair showing, so I did one-color layers of brown or blonde on those figures.
Finally, I painted the inner portion of the base with flat black; I like the little bit of contrast between the shinier outer lip of the base against the matte inner portion.

The Waza figure was painted using the same technique but different colors. He was a touch more involved: I drybrushed three colors: Red, Orange and a little bit of yellow-orange. I painted black in the areas between and under his armor to help the orange brighten up a little. I used olive green on the packs and cases attached to his waist and leg. Black for the gun, blue for the visor and gray for the rocket. Same base treatment as the Secfor. Done!

Each Merc team is only 6 figures (if you include the snipers,) so, using this basic technique, these should paint up pretty fast. The Secfor group pictured only took about a half hour. And I split an all-in pledge with a friend of mine (who also paints,) so we should have everything painted up with ease.
And, of course, we look forward to playing soon -- I've been reading good reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to dredge up an old post on you, but I'm really fascinated by the method you describe here. So does this mean you don't basecoat, you simply prime then go straight to drybrushing? Really lovely results, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep -- just black-primed, drybrushed and a few details picked out. It's amazingly fast.
      Now, on most figures that I speed-paint, I will add a black coat (Delta Ceramcoat craft paint) over the black primer. I use Army Painter Matte, which dries glossy(!) The craft paint layer provides both a matte surface so it's easier to see details, and it also adds a surface that will hold a paint layer much better than a gloss surface. The result is also nice and durable. Give it a tr!

      Delete