Here are a couple of my new peasants converted. They're actually converted from the same pose; the figure with the nagimaki (that big bladed polearm), is how the original figure was posed. I've added the nagimaki (in place of a yari/spear) as well as the straw rain cape and straw hat (both made with green stuff.)
The other figure took a little bit of work. First, I used a razor saw to remove his head and turn it almost 180 degrees. Next, I cut the integral base so that I could rotate the legs. I used a pair of pliers (with some thick fabric between the levers to prevent the plier teeth from marring the figure) to gently rotate the legs as far as I thought they would go. Unfortunately, I snapped one foot off at the ankle.
|This is how the original, unconverted pose looks.|
The mallet (called a kakeya) was made with a cylinder of green stuff and a piece of brass rod.
Since they're peasants, I kept the palette basic with a few different browns. I'd prefer something a little more colorful, but I'd still like to keep this set of figures somewhat historical looking (even if I do include the random oni now and again in my games.) But I'm happy that these figures came out almost exactly as I had planned. I think I've hit the limit of what I can do with these poses for now, at least without sawing off limbs and torsos.
Quick note: I'm trying out the 40mm Proxie Models bases with these figures. I like the bases. They have a lower profile and provide a more stable platform. Mostly, I used the Proxie Models bases this time around because that's what I had available. I think these bases will be my go-to bases now for all my 40mm to 54mm figures.