You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, February 27, 2012

Some Reaper orcs

While playing with the dragon, I found time to finish up my brown orcs. The large orc with the 2-handed sword is Reaper No. 2335 "Black Orc Warrior," while the other three came in a pack- Reaper No. 3502 "Classics: Orcs." The classic orcs are available individually on Reaper's site. I've mentioned before, but I'll repeat, I like these orcs because even though they're a more modern sculpt, they still have some old-school styling. That's what I like about this current project: Even though, I'm looking for more modern sculpts, I'm painting up these figures based on 1st edition D&D descriptions (Monster Manuals, Deities and Demigods, etc.)


I did a couple minor conversions; I replaced the orc archer's bow with a piece of shaped brass wire; I'm always paranoid about bows (and other thin weapons) bending/breaking with as much handling as they take, so I almost always take steps to strengthen them. On the second orc from the left, I replaced the axehead with a bearded axe (my preferred style of axe.) The pinning on the axe wasn't my best, so I strengthened it with a little bit of greenstuff in the guise of weapon plumage; I used the leftover greenstuff from the axe to make the plumage on the helmet of the4 first orc on the left.

Next up are a troll, cyclops and minotaur. I'll also order some hobgoblins and bugbears for later.

I may have another go at a few repaints of some of Jeff's D&D plastic minis after having success with the dragon; I could probably start with the beholder sitting on my table right now.

5 comments:

  1. They look excellent - even scary (especially the "champion" with the big two-hander).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, always love to see non-green orcs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour you have chosen for these guys. Excellent paint work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm repeating what has already been written, but I think you have done a great job on the Red Flesh.

    Well done.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete