You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tramp steamer crew: First figures finished


Here are the next four figures (the Old Man isn't pictured) of my tramp steamer crew. My entire crew will be made up of Copplestone figures. In case you missed it in my earlier posts, I wanted a tramp steamer crew and there are some good premade options out there, but I wanted something that would match up size-wise with my other Copplestone figures. I have a smaller, armed crew I painted up a couple years ago to play Tusk (King Kong variant), but I wanted an unarmed crew going about their daily routine. So I settled on converting as best I could the figures that were available.

The two figures in the center of the top photo are Bolshevik figures from the Back of Beyond range. Both figures' boots have been removed by simply adding pant cuffs at their ankle. The Bolshevik (sailor) to the left has further been converted by removing his pistol and replacing it with a megaphone made from a pen cap (using the exact same method I used for the director of my film crew).

The figures on the ends (detailed in the pics below) are conversions of a FOURTH copy of the Street Toughs pack. Both of these figures had their fists up in a boxing pose. I sawed their left arms off and repositioned them closer to their sides to give the effect of walking. I was a little worried about Duffel bag's arm being a little to far out like it is, but I figured he's just posing tough for the port ladies.
The duffel bag is made from a big ol' glob of greenstuff, and the rope is made from some braided copper wire. (You'll notice in the film crew pic that the cameraman is the same figure I used for the crewman here carrying the rope.)



So far, a good start. I have four more figures to paint for the crew, plus a couple more I'm going to add to my next order. I'll have 10 to 13 figures in my crew when it's done. The most difficult conversion (if I decide to try it) will involve repositioning both arms and having one figure playing a concertina (sailor's accordion.) I'll have the figure for sure, it's just a matter of figuring out the details.

3 comments:

  1. I like the style and 'feel' of this group - all you need now is a tramp steamer for them to man.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, they're being put together to man my river steamer: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OegChr5Zg_s/R6M8_4EpUBI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/CdgC0UYa1AQ/s1600-h/steamer+no+4.jpg

    ReplyDelete