You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Friday, August 21, 2009

Ramos, Steampunk sorcerer


This is Ramos, stemapunk sorcerer, made by Wyrd Miniatures. He was easy to paint. This was also a chance to work on source-light painting. If you can blend well, your results with source-light painting should be great; I don't blend well, so my attempt came out a bit high-contrast and rough (also note; I darkened the background to enhance the effect.)
Still, I'm happier with the mediocre sourc-lighting paint job than a better paint job without the lighting. In fact, I tried the lighting, painted over it with a regular paint job, didn't like it, and repainted once more with the source lighting.
I'd love to find an in-depth tutorial on source lighting. Until then, I'll just stay away from figures with a strong light source nearby.
Anyway, I like this figure; it would make a decent wizard, warlock or artificer for D&D (especially Eberon.) It's also the first magic-user figure I've done in a while. My thoughts are now on that unpainted Rackham wizard I have sitting in a figure case. No source lighting needed for that one, but still LOTS of detail to worry about. Maybe that will be my furlough project.

No comments:

Post a Comment