You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales WIP


I got a good start on my minion figures from the Downwood Tales expansion for Mice and Mystics. I started off by using my monochromatic method to paint the skin on the frogs and newts; I'm finding it very easy to speed paint large areas of skin like this. It also goes a lot faster, of course.

I still need to clean up and paint the clothing, weapons, and accessories, but the hard part (for me, anyway) is already done. I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish these this week, but with this good start, it will be much easier to pick up where I left off.

7 comments:

  1. Weird and awesome stuff! Can't wait to see them finished. Looks good already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had time to paint my friends' M&M pieces. They're great guys and love the game, they deserve nice hand painted figures to play with... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got pics and how-to's on the progress (or i assume completion now) of this? Thanks. Been in the archives painting my M&M minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No how-tos yet. I've been away from the painting table for a few months now (save for the random odd piece now and again.)

      To at least get to the step seen in this post, everything was drybrushed, starting with a base coat and working up a few successive highlights.

      I need to get back to the table; I have a lot of stuff coming that will want to get painted: Space Cadets/Away Missions, Conan, Mercs/Recon, Zombicide Black Plague, as well as a few more new 42mm samurai (with some yet still unfinished on the table.)

      Delete
    2. Gotcha, I had never heard of your "monochromatic method" so was wondering what that was. But searched it out on your site and found it (for other's reference: http://carmensminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/2014/08/zombicide-general-notes-on-monochromatic.html)

      I just started painting figurines for the first time and am setting the bar high by looking at your stuff :D

      Here are the first three figures I've ever painted (just yesterday and the day before) from Mice and Mystics: http://jxd1689.tumblr.com/post/123631239008/1st-miniatures-ive-ever-painted-due-to-one-of

      Delete
  4. Those are your FIRST miniatures?? Those are great; you're well on your way to a nice collection.
    And glad to see you got your boy in on the action, too.

    For my Downwoods Tales minions, I start with the monochromatic method, going through three layers (base coat, main color and highlight,) and then I'll come back and do details such as belts, weapons, eyes, etc. in full color. At least for Mice and Mystics, I'm only starting with the monochrome to speed things up a bit.

    I don't have a terrible amount of actual tutorials on my blog, but there is plenty to look at and pick up tricks from here, so look around and lurk as long as you feel like it. And lastly: Here's the address to my video on how to paint in monochrome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9tXVBqxCtQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, first... thanks for the encouragement and the video. The rats are on the list for today and I'm gonna try them with that method but then spending more time on belt and armor/sword detail... We'll see how they turn out. Thanks again.

      Delete