You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Two characters from the same model

This is a follow-up from a project from a while ago. These two figures are actually the same model (Reaper 3282 Uric, adventuring fighter.)
The conversion was very easy. The sword arm is actually a separate piece starting at the top of the forearm. On the figure to the right, I simply glued the arm into the position I desired. Done.
The figure to the left to a little extra work; having the arm come that far forward left a little bit of a gap where the piece connected to the main figure. I simply filled this in with a tiny bit of greenstuff.
The original shield arm has been left alone on the right figure (with long pins doubling as arrows added.) The left figure, however, took some bending -- honestly, I can't remember if I bent the arm or cut it off and repositioned it. But I believe it can be simply bent to that position; the shield is large enough to hide any tears or marring of the arm that may occur.
I took the horns off the left figure, giving the warrior a simple skull cap. I also added some greave armor and a bit of armor on the toe of the leading foot.

I like both versions of this figure. The right one was my first 4E D&D character. The left figure was a project inspired by a pottery (oil lamp?) engraving of a gladiator tucked behind his shield presenting a solid armored front despite his relatively lack of armor. I figured the character (a defender in D&D) should look like he's there to take a pounding; He certainly turned out as I had hoped, hunkered down like a turtle.

A note about washes: I used a wash on the left figure. I didn't let it dry entirely before I flocked the base. The problem wasn't of flock sticking to the figure, the problem was that I use superglue to flock (oh yeah), and the fumes from the glue formed a ghostly white dust (for lack of a better word) on the bottom portions of the figure (like hard water stains.)
This hadn't happened before (well, once or twice when I painted the base right after flocking), so I'm guessing that the wet wash (and/or wet paint) is the perfect surface for this "dust" to form on.
SO, if you use a wash, or flock with superglue, make sure everything on the figure is dry first.
BUT, if you do get a coating of white dust, a damp brush can usually be used to scrub away most of the dust. My figure had to be retouched a little, but everything worked out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment