You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, February 1, 2010

42mm samurai progress and future conversion ideas


Just a quick pic to show I am still painting these two. It's going slow; you can see in the background that I've gotten myself into a little bit of Wings of War minis (re)painting. I'm gonna try to get those planes done this week, so I can refocus on the samurai (and accessories.)

Conversions for the future
So I'm looking at my next order down the line already. This next order will almost all be for conversion purposes. First, I plan on getting two more peasants and performing a headswap. One will get a yari (or other polearm), but the other will be carrying a lantern (for the unarmored samurai.)
Speaking of the unarmored samurai:

This will be the more difficult conversion. First thing I need to do is to carve and file down the kataginu (the pointy shoulder things) so that he is only wearing a kimono and the hakima pants. I'll need to use a little greenstuff to shape the kimono back to style. Then I need to make the bow, remove the fan, drill out the hands, arrow in one hand, bow in the other, and I have to figure out how I'm gonna get that bow string under his sleeve (keeping it straight) and past the swords. I may have to drill the hole first, guide the string and make the bow to fit the string- which means a lot of eye-balling everything. I could also carve off and file down the swords, but they're in an awkward place for files and tools to reach.
The easiest part will be adding the quiver to his back and the arrow in his hand.

It's an ambitious idea for me. I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but I need to try. If I can build tiny Ghostbusters proton packs, I should be able to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment